Are you having armpit odour? We have all been there and the home remedies for armpit odour have been saving us all.
It’s embarrassing for someone else to perceive odour coming out of your own armpit. And It makes it hard for you to be confident with your body because you are always trying to keep your arms down to hide the embarrassing odour from your armpit.
Sometimes, no matter how much you take your bath, the odour just won’t stop. The good news is there are home remedies for armpit odour you can apple to help you get rid of your smelly armpit.
You can get most of the things needed to make it happen from your kitchen or from your local grocery store. Below is a list of home remedies for armpit odour.
1. Rub Lemon juice on your Armpit
Lemon, also known as Citrus limon is part of the world’s most popular citrus fruits that doubles the home remedies for armpit odour. This fruit contains a huge amount of vitamin C, soluble fibre, and plant compounds that makes it have a high number of health benefits.
The liquid from this fruit known as lemon juice, which is always available in every kitchen, helps in killing the bacteria in your skin that produces armpit odour by lowering the pH level of the skin.
Lemon juice is also a natural deodorant. The citric acid in the juice has a distinct, pleasant smell that makes them good for the skin, making you have a better-smelling armpit.
Using lemon juice on your armpit might make you feel a bit of irritation at first, but eventually, it will leave you with happy results. Below is the step by step procedures on how to use lemon juice as home remedies for armpit odour:
- Cut a Lemon fruit with a kitchen knife in half
- Rub each of the lemon halves to your underarms by squeezing them a bit as you go.
- Raise your hands up to let your underarm air dry.
- Put a bit of salt on a plate and cut another lemon in half,
- Dip the lemon halves in the salt, and gently rub your armpits with them.
- Wash your underarms with clean water after 10 minutes.
- Do this once daily.
The benefits of lemon juice to the armpit does not end as home remedies for armpit odour, but it also lightens dark armpits. Mixing lemon juice with a little bit of oatmeal and honey to form a paste, and then apply it to the armpits and let it sit for an hour before washing it off, lightening dark armpits.
The downside of using Lemon is that it may cause allergic reactions in a small number of people. It causes contact allergy and skin irritation in individuals that have the dermatitis skin condition. Also avoid using lemon juice, if you have a cut on your armpit or you have skin problems.
2. Apply Alum to your armpit
Before the arrival of commercial deodorants, we have been using powdered alum as home remedies for armpit odour.
This home ingredient has both antiseptic and astringent properties, that help to prevent the formation of bacterias in our armpits. It also prevents excessive sweating during hot and humid temperatures.
It is a well-known fact that alum does not smell, with this, alum is one of the best home remedies for armpit odour if you are allergic to perfume or smell.
Another benefit is that natural alum does not only prevents armpit odour but also helps whiten the dark part of the armpit skin, making your armpit and other parts of your skin have a uniform colour.
Alum has slowly regained its position as a deodorant in this modern time, especially among people who are health conscious of commercial products. Many people have already stopped using mass-produced commercial deodorants and turned to natural alum.
Below is the step by step procedures on how to use Alum as home remedies for armpit odour:
- Get a few pieces of alum and fry it with an empty pot till it’s dry.
- Then grind the dry alum to form alum powder
- Apply the alum powder on your armpits
- You should apply alum on your armpit at least twice a day.
3. Regularly drinking Wheatgrass juice
Many don’t know that wheatgrass has a lot of benefits. Because of the chlorophyll in the wheatgrass that kills the bacteria in the body, wheatgrass acts as one of the home remedies for armpit odour
The good news is that drinking wheatgrass is not only to get rid of armpit odour, it can also eliminate your whole body odour permanently when taken for a considerable period of time.
Start by drinking three to four spoons of wheatgrass juice every morning with an empty stomach, this will help you avoid nauseous that occur when taken too much at once. Then gradually increase the quantity until you reach a glass of wheatgrass juice every morning.
Below is the step by step procedures on how to use wheatgrass juice as home remedies for armpit odour:
- Harvest or buy fresh wheatgrass
- grind it to bring out the juice in a cup
- Then drink the juice every money with an empty stomach
4. Sprinkle a little Baking Soda on your armpit
Baking soda for many years has been a popular green alternative to commercial deodorant for a lot of people. Because of its odour-fighting properties, baking soda is one of the home remedies for armpit odour.
Apart from being a deodorant, baking soda also helps to absorb moisture from the skin, thus, reducing excessive sweating which eventually removes armpit odour.
If you are using baking soda on your armpits, it’s advisable to test it first for a few days on a small area of your skin, such as a quarter-sized spot on your forearm.
If you experience any redness or irritation on that area of your skin, wash it off immediately and don’t use baking soda on your armpit at all. It’s best to talk to your doctor first before using baking soda on your armpit or skin.
But if you didn’t observe any redness or irritation on that area of your skin, below is a step by step procedures on how to use baking soda as home remedies for armpit odour.
The Los Angeles county government has suggested a healthy way to use baking soda on the armpit:
- First, take your shower to neutralize the armpit odour
- Allow your armpit to be slightly damp, but not wet.
- Touch the baking soda quickly and gently with the flat of the hand
- Then slowly sprinkle the baking soda onto your armpit
- If it is too abrasive, then mix the baking soda with cornstarch or white clay.
- Do this once daily.
Remember to conduct a patch test first, before applying baking soda on your armpit so you can check if there is any skin cut or allergy on your armpit.
5. Apply Witch Hazel on your armpit
Witch hazel is a natural astringent made from the bark and leaves of a flowering shrub known as Hamamelis virginiana. It is commonly found in Eastern North America, from Nova Scotia west to Minnesota, and south to central Florida to eastern Texas.
When witch hazel is used as a home remedy for armpit odour, It acts as an astringent, which is an agent that contracts skin pores reducing sweat production in the armpit. It reduces or prevents sweating and thus, helps get rid of armpit odour.
Applying witch hazel on your armpits can also prohibit odour causing bacteria by lowering your pH in your armpit, making it hard for odour causing bacteria to survive there.
Below is the step by step procedures on how to use witch hazel as home remedies for armpit odour:
- Get your witch hazel and cotton balls
- Take a few drops of witch hazel with a cotton ball and apply it directly to your armpit.
- Alternatively, mix a few drops of witch hazel in water and use it as a natural antiperspirant.
- Apply this every morning and every evening.
6. Dab Apple Cider Vinegar on your Armpits
Apple cider vinegar is a fermented juice made from crushed apples. It has acidic properties that help in removing toxic microbes from your armpit, therefore acting as home remedies for armpit odour.
Apple cider vinegar has antimicrobial properties that can help in neutralizing the environment of your armpit area, naturally balancing out your armpit pH, thus causing the destruction of the odour causing bacteria.
Drinking apple cider vinegar, adding apple cider vinegar to your foods, or stirring apple cider vinegar into lukewarm water before each meal can greatly work on your inside body, which, in turn, benefits your outside body, most especially your armpit.
Below is the step by step procedures on how to use apple cider vinegar as home remedies for armpit odour:
- Get a small bowl of apple cider vinegar and cotton balls
- Use the cotton balls to dab apple cider vinegar.
- Apply it on your armpits before showering
- Stay a few minutes and then go shower
- Also apply it every morning after a bath, and every night before going to bed.
- Do this each day to naturally balance out your armpit pH.
7. Rub a potato slice directly on your armpit
Potatoes are home remedies for armpit odour because they can help control perspiration and also kill the bacteria present in your armpit by lowering the pH of your skin. This is possible due to potatoes slightly acidic and antimicrobial properties.
According to Love Anover from a Good News report, applying sliced potatoes to your armpits can kill bacteria in your armpit, therefore preventing body odour.
Below is the step by step procedures on how to use potato slice as home remedies for armpit odour:
- First, take your shower to clean your armpit.
- After taking your bath, make sure your armpit is dry and clean.
- Then slice a potato into different pieces
- Rub the potato slice on your armpits
- Wait for quite a while till it’s dry.
- Then apply your deodorant over it if you have any.
- Do this once to twice a day
8. Apply Neem Leaves Paste to your armpit
Neem is a herb gotten from Ayurveda with numerous medicinal values. The antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties make neem leaves the home remedies for armpit odour by helping in eliminating harmful odour-causing bacteria and toxins from your body.
Neem leave paste is also helpful in getting rid of itching, blemishes, redness, pimples and dealing with other armpit problems caused by dirt, pollution and germs. This means that neem leave paste is suitable for people with sensitive skin.
Below is the step by step procedures on how to use neem leaves as home remedies for armpit odour:
- Harvest or buy fresh Neem leave
- Put the neem leaves inside mildly hot water until they are soft.
- Then remove them from the water and grind the leaves into a paste
- Gently apply the neem leaves paste to your armpits
- Leave it there for 20 minutes to dry.
- Wash it off with clean cold water and allow your armpit to air dry.
- Your Armpit should look and feel refreshed.
9. Brush your armpit with iodine
Iodine is one of the best home remedies for armpit odour. It has a high number of bactericidal and antiseptic properties which can help in sterilizing your armpits and restoring their pH, getting rid of foul-smelling armpits.
Below is the step by step procedures on how to use iodine as home remedies for armpit odour:
- Get a soft brush and a few drops of iodine.
- Apply the iodine to your armpits with your hands.
- Then scrub your armpits gently with the soft brush.
- Leave it for about three minutes after scrubbing.
- Wash it off with clean cold water.
10. Spray Tea tree oil directly to your armpit
With a crisp nature, nice scent and proven cleansing properties, Tea Tree oil, is one of the home remedies for armpit odour. Using this oil on your armpit help banish bad odours and leave your armpit smelling clean and fresh from top to bottom.
Tea tree oil is also effective in killing odour-causing bacterias in the armpit as well as keeping the armpit dry. If you just shaved your armpit, Be sure to wait about 10 minutes before applying the tea tree oil to your armpit so that your pores can close before applying the oil.
Below is the step by step procedures on how to use tea tree oil as home remedies for armpit odour:
- First, take your shower to clean your armpit.
- After taking your bath, wait for about ten minutes.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to water.
- Put the mixture in a spray bottle.
- Then spray the mixture directly to your armpit.
11. Regularly wash the armpit with clean warm water
One of the best home remedies for armpit odour is to clean your armpits with soap and warm water. This is especially for those who have excessive sweat during hot temperatures.
Washing your armpit with warm water at least once a day at regular intervals helps to make sure to weaken or sometimes kill some odour causing bacterial in your armpit.
Also, use an anti-bacterial or deodorant soap to wash your armpit as well as take your bath.
12. Wear breathable clothes
If you have a very bad odour, it is advisable to forget about wearing synthetic or leather fabrics, and start wearing fabrics like cotton and linen. They allow air to penetrate through them to touch your skin.
Instead of wearing long sleeves, it is also advisable to wear sleeveless tops in order to allow air to the armpit all through the day, thereby drying it as soon as you start sweating.
You should also stop repeating or wearing clothes more than once before washing them. Because when sweating from your smelly armpit stays in your clothes for too long, it will produce odour even more than your armpit when you wear that clothing again without washing it.
To ensure an odour-free armpit and overall odour free body, you should make sure to wear clean clothes, underwear and socks.
13. Always keep yourself hydrated
Many people don’t know this but drinking enough water every day is one of the home remedies for armpit odour. When you drink enough water to keep your body hydrated, it flushes out bodily toxins that cause armpit odour.
So no matter which procedure you use in reminding yourself to drink water, always remember to drink enough water every day. If at all you don’t have methods of reminding yourself, you can do so by setting an alarm, sticking post-its on your computer or holding a water bottle in your hand always.
Water removes bodily toxins from the body, and when toxins are out of your body, so does body odour because toxins cause odour. It’s a simple science equation. And if you are the type that sweats frequently, drinking water is of great concern to make sure your body functions normally.
And, last but not the least, take care of the kind of drinks and foods you eat. Avoid caffeinated drinks and food containing onions, garlic, and spices. All these kinds of food and drink aid in producing armpit odour and body odour in general, so avoid them.
Above is the list of home remedies for armpit odour. Most of the mentioned ingredients may cause allergic reactions, skin sensitivity or skin irritation in a small number of people. If you have any skin-related conditions, make sure you consult your doctor before using any of them.
Another thing to note is that before you start getting rid of your armpit odour, it is important to know what exactly caused your armpit odour. Whether it is an underlying sickness that can be treated or other factors that can be managed with home remedies for armpit odour.
The human body has two kinds of sweat glands known as eccrine and apocrine. Eccrine glands cover most of the body and open directly on the skin’s outermost layer.
While the apocrine glands occur in parts of the body that contain a lot of hair follicles, like your armpit and groin.
Apocrine glands operate mostly under stress, secreting an odourless sweat. This sweat only starts to produce an odour when it comes in contact with bacteria on your skin. Certain kinds of foods and drinks you have eaten, and also certain kinds of medication can also cause apocrine sweat to produce odour.
These glands only start functioning during puberty, this is the reason you usually start to notice armpit odour or body odour in general during puberty.
Apart from these natural reasons, underlying sicknesses such as hyperhidrosis can cause armpit odour. People with this condition sweat excessively more than usual without much heat or any exercise, especially from their armpits, hand and feet.
If you believe you might have hyperhidrosis, there are tests that can be done by your doctor to confirm a diagnosis, ensuring it gets treated properly.
Thanks for having time to read this article to the end. Please Make sure you check out our blog for health-related articles.