Are you an Aussie looking for how to start a blog in Australia and make passive income? You are on the right webpage as we are going to guide you with the step-by-step procedure of how to start a blog in Australia.
Blogging in Australia is growing at a speedy rate and it’s finally being regarded as a mainstream career.
A lot of young Australians are now looking at blogging as a career and some Australian bloggers even earn money more than the annual income of executive-level employees.
With the future of blogging in Australia looking so bright, it would be unwise not to jump into the ever-growing blogging industry in Australia.
Whether the aim of your blog is to entertain, inform, or educate the public, the sky is your starting point if you follow this step-by-step tutorial on how to start a blog and make money in Australia.
All you need to become a successful blogger is passion and persistence.
So in this article, you will learn how to start a blog in Australia, how to set up a blog in Australia, and how to make money from blogging in Australia.
So without wasting much of your time, let’s jump into the main topic of discussion.
How to start a blog in Australia
- Decide the niche you want to blog about
- Create your blog name
- Make your blog online by getting blog hosting.
- Pick a simple theme for your blog
- Customize your new blog
- Add essential plugins to your blog
- Successful write your blog post
- Make money with your blog
1. Decide the niche you want to blog about
The first step on how to start a blog in Australia is to decide the niche you want to blog about.
Deciding the kind of topic or subject you want to blog about is one of the most important steps in blogging. Always make sure you pick a niche that you have good knowledge of and are passionate to write about.
It is foolish to blindly choose a niche you are totally ignorant about just because you want to make a lot of money by blogging about it. This is practically not a sustainable approach to deciding which niche to blog about.
To help you decide what your niche would be, it is best to search through your hobbies. If your hobby is about fashion, then a fashion blogger will be suitable for you, if it is about traveling then becoming a travel blogger is the right niche for you.
Once you have chosen any of your hobbies as a niche for your new blog, then you are a step closer to becoming a blogger in Australia.
2. Create your blog name
After choosing the niche of your blog, the next step on how to start a blog in Australia is to create your blog name.
The blog name is usually the name that your potential audience will know your blog with and it is the same name as your blog domain name.
Below are a few factors you need to consider when creating your blog name:
- What is your blog going to be about? (i.e LeoSEO.com, OliverPet.com)
- Your target audience? (i.e GamersAlien.com, AdultExtra.com)
- Are you planning to build your brand around your name (i.e OliviaNoah.com JackHenry.com)
- Will you also find the same social media usernames?
According to your answers to the above questions, you can be able to choose a suitable name for your blog, but if for any reason you still find it difficult to choose a blog name we have some tips for you as a beginner.
If you are a beginner who is totally new to blogging, we recommend you use the following tips to choose a perfect name for your blog:
- Look at other blogs around your niche and understand the ideas behind their blog name.
- Get inspired from Books, movies, or events.
- If your desired name is already taken, play around with the same word using suffixes, phonemes, and prefixes.
- If you are totally lost, you can use Blog Name Generator.
3. Make your blog online by getting blog hosting
When you are starting a new business in Australia, the first step is to register your business name with the Australian government and provide the address of your new business.
That same method is applicable to blogging. So once you are ready with your blog name, the next step on how to start a blog in Australia is to register and host your new blog.
Domain registration reflects the URL of your blog while blog hosting is the space where you build up your blog.
Just like every business needs a physical space to establish in the same manner every blog or website on the internet needs a virtual space for its set-up and that space is what is known as web hosting.
Avoid Bad Web Hosting Companies
There are both good and terrible web hosting companies, so don’t make the mistake of choosing a bad hosting company.
Most cheap web hosts overload their servers with more sites which makes blogs hosted on them to be slow. This means it will take a longer time for your blog visitors to load a webpage.
Aside from the slow loading of web pages, most cheap web hosts are usually backed with terrible customer support which means when you have a technical problem with your blog, you’re on your own and this will discourage you from focusing on building and growing your blog.
I know your question right now is how do I start a blog in Australia?
Well, for hosting your blog, we recommend beginners to use Bluehost for several reasons:
- Affordable Hosting Plan ($2.99 per month)
- They offer Free Domain & SSL
- Your blog will experience Less Downtime
- Your blog will have a fast loading speed
- Top-Notch Web Security that protects your blog from hackers
- Experienced customer support
- 30-day money-back policy in case you changed your mind
Now that you’re ready to get started with your new blog, click to visit the Bluehost website and then click on the blue “Host Your Site” button.
Go to the number three (3) step in this article → how to start a blog in 2022 to see a very easy step-by-step procedure of how to successfully host your blog with Bluehost in just a few clicks.
If you follow the number three (3) step to the end, you will find out that you have also installed WordPress software on your website and this is how to set up a blog in Australia.
4. Pick a simple theme for your blog
If you want to change the design and look of your blog (which is recommended) then the next step on how to start a blog in Australia is to choose a theme that resonates with your audience.
The design of your blog tells your potential audience what the blog is about which plays a huge role in the success of your newly created blog because it’s the body language of your blog.
The more your theme makes your blog posts easier to read and navigate through your site, the better experience for your readers. So you should consider Mobile responsiveness while choosing a theme. This means your blog must look nice on mobile devices.
There are thousands of free WordPress themes available on your WordPress dashboard, you can choose from any of them to start with and then upgrade to a premium theme later in your blogging career.
Just click on the “Appearance” button located at the left sidebar of your WordPress dashboard and then click on the “theme” to see the already installed themes on your blog.
If you don’t like any of the already installed themes you can get a new one by clicking on the “Add New” button at the top of the themes.
Once you are at the new theme page, you can select from featured, popular, latest, favorite, and featured favorite on the top menu, or you can search for the name of a particular theme in the search bar at the right upper side of the page.
5. Customize your new blog
Just like every house reflects the color of people living in it, your blog reflects the color of the blogger who runs it. So after the initial setup of your blog, the next step on how to start a blog in Australia is to customize your blog look.
If you have a clear idea of what you want your blog to look like, then you need to customize your theme the way you wish.
To start with customizing your blog, click the Appearance tab at the right sidebar of your WordPress dashboard and then click customize to see the options provided for each customization.
Below are the following changes you need to make during your blog customization:
- The site title and tagline of your blog
- The color of your blog
- Your blog icon and logo images
- Header navigation Menu
- Your blog sidebar widgets
Customizing a theme can be sometimes difficult for new bloggers, over time you will find it easy. Just play around with the customization to find what suits you best.
6. Add essential plugins to your blog
After customizing your blog, another step on how to start a blog in Australia is to add more functionality to your blog by installing and activating a few WordPress plugins.
With the WordPress plugin, you can control your blog on WordPress and these are some tools that add extra features.
Most of the plugins in your WordPress dashboard are free, and others are paid plans for expanding functions. Since you are starting new, you are going to install only free plugins, and later on, you may go for the paid ones as you need maybe.
The good news is that there are free plugins that can help you achieve major functionality such as SEO Optimization, Blog Security, Site Speed, Performance, etc.
Below is the list of two major plugins you must start with:
- Rank Math SEO: This plugin will help your new blog to rank well on Google and other search engine page results by improving your on-page SEO.
- Jetpack: This plugin is an all-in-one plugin that helps add additional functionality to your new blog which includes; backup, malware scan, security, Analytics, contact form, CDN, and social sharing.
Bear in mind that it is recommendable to only install a few useful WordPress plugins to an average number of 5 to 10. having too many plugins on your blog may tamper with the loading speed of your blog pages which is very bad for SEO.
7. Write Your First bog post
This very step of how to start a blog in Australia is the fun part of it all.
Even when it feels scary, we are going to guide you through the process of writing and publishing your first blog posts.
To start writing your blog post, you need to click on the “Post” tab at the right-hand side of your WordPress dashboard and then click on “Add New”.
Once it loads to the next page, you will see a screen like an image below:
The following bullet points will explain exactly what the numbers mean:
- Title Area: This area is where you will enter the title of your blog post
- Add Media: This button is what you will click whenever you want to upload images, videos, or any other type of media to your blog post
- Content Area: This area bears the body of your article, it is where you write the main content of your post.
- Publishing: In this area, the “save draft” button allows you to save your work without making it live on your blog, while the blue “Publish” button is where you publish your post and it becomes live to the world.
- Others: The last number is where to choose or create a category that your blog post belongs to, upload a featured image and then add tags. If you don’t know much about how to use tags, don’t worry about them as they are optional.
Play around with the functionality of each button around the new post page till you get used to the WordPress system and understand how to use every feature.
8. How to make money from blogging in Australia
After setting up your blog and writing your blog post, the next step on how to start a blog in Australia is to learn how to make money from blogging in Australia.
I know your question is how much do bloggers make in Australia?
Well, the amount of money a blogger in Australia can make depends on a lot of factors, but as we wrote earlier, most Australian bloggers earn money even more than the annual income of executive-level employees.
There are different ways you can make money as an Australian blogger, below are the major ones:
- Google AdSense
- Affiliate Marketing
- Selling your E-books and Information Products
- Offering One-on-One Coaching
The above article is how to start a blog in Australia and we hope it helps you build a successful blog that brings passive income to you.
The key takeaway is that making money from blogging takes a lot of hard work, persistence, and time to start seeing something tangible. And to some, it may take around 6 to one year to start making money with a new blog while others take a pretty short period of time.
Thank you for having time to read this article about how to start a blog in Australia to the end. Please don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter to be updated anytime we drop articles like this.