Are you searching for an easy guide on how to start a music review blog?
Learn how to start a music review blog within one hour. Become a music review blogger today by following the steps we used when starting our music review blog.
How to start a music review blog is not the same as starting a regular blog, there are some key and technical things you need to know and this is what we will be discussing in this article.
These days, more people stream music online than ever before and those streamers tend to search for music reviews of the songs they stream.
If you follow this step-by-step tutorial on how to start a music review blog, you will leverage this opportunity to make money by creating your own music blog.
In this article, you will learn how to name your music review blog, how to create a music review blog, how to set up a music review blog, how to customize your music review blog, and how to promote a music review blog to make money.
So without wasting much of your time, let’s get started with the step-by-step guide of how to start a music review blog for beginners.
How to Start a Successful Music Review Blog
- Choose your music review blog name
- Make your music review blog online by getting blog hosting.
- Start your music review blog by adding WordPress.
- Pick a simple theme to build your music review blog
- Add essential music review plugins
- Set up basic things on your music review blog
- Write a successful music review
1. Choose your music review blog name
Your blog name and domain name (which are the same name) are an important part of your music review blog because it creates a first impression of what your blog is really about.
Also known as your URL, your domain is the web address of your music review. For instance, the domain name of this blog is https://legitmethod.com.
So, what do you want to call your music review blog? Maybe you want to call it YourName.com, YournameReview.com, or other creative music review name you thought up.
If you’re finding it difficult to make up a nice name for your music review blog, check other music review blogs out there to draw inspiration on what to name your music blog.
2. Get a blog hosting for your music review blog
Once you’ve chosen what your music review blog name and domain name would be, the next thing on how to start a music review blog is to set up hosting for your blog.
For hosting your music review blog, we recommend you use Bluehost for several reasons:
- Great Customer Service. All Bluehost’s customer service staffs are one hundred percent United States-based. Withhold times that average less than thirty seconds and one hundred percent in-house and on-site staff in their Texas offices, you are guaranteed that the customer service assisting you with your site knows how to help. This means that if you ever have any trouble whatsoever with your music review blog, they will help you through the entire setup process.
- Affordable Pricing. We don’t just recommend Bluehost for your music review blog just because we are an affiliate (every other hosting company offers the same affiliate program); we recommend Bluehost because they are the best, most reliable, and more especially the most affordable hosting platform. With only $2.95 per month, you can get a hosting account from Bluehost for the first year.
- Free Domain. In addition to the $2.95/month discount, Bluehost also offers a free domain, when you signup with their hosting. This offer helps you to avoid the upfront and recurring fees associated with purchasing a domain on your own. If you already have your own domain, you can also use it with Bluehost (with just one extra step).
- Refund Guarantee. After purchasing Bluehost hosting and you end up not liking what you get, Bluehost provides a Refund policy that guarantees a 30-day money-back, so you don’t need to worry because there’s no risk of losing your money if you ever change your mind.
- Reliability. Bluehost is trusted and reliable with facilities that are world-class. They have a custom-built 20,000-square-foot data center with good backup generators to power a city.
- Popular on the web. A lot of reputable blogs and music review blogs use and recommend Bluehost for others to host their blogs.
Now that you’re ready to get started with your music review blog, go to the Bluehost website and click on the blue “Host Your Site” button.
Go to this article → how to start a blog in 2022 and then follow the number three (3) step in that tutorial to see a very easy step-by-step procedure of how to successfully host your blog with Bluehost in just a few clicks.
3. Start your music review blog by adding WordPress
The next on how to start a music review blog is to install WordPress software to your newly purchased website, which will make it a music review blog and this is free to achieve.
Also, don’t be intimidated by the word “install” because installing WordPress is easier than it sounds and Bluehost does all the work for you with just a click.
If you followed the number three (3) step of the article we referred you to above to the very end of that number, you will find out that you have already installed WordPress on your site.
But if you haven’t, you can go back to that article and install WordPress on your website.
4. Pick a theme for your music review blog
After you have successfully installed WordPress on your site and your music review blog is live, the next step on how to start a music review blog is to choose a theme for your music review blog.
A WordPress theme enables you to design your music review blog without having to hire coding expertise or design knowledge.
This means a good WordPress theme will design your music review blog exactly how you want it to look. If you don’t have web design and coding knowledge (which most bloggers don’t), then a friendly theme makes the design work a million times easier.
Do you remember how easy it was to install WordPress on your music review blog? Well installing a WordPress theme to your blog is just as simple as that.
To choose a WordPress theme that suits a music review blog, you need to return to your WordPress Dashboard.
If you are logged out of your WordPress dashboard, you can log in by going to my.bluehost.com. When you get there, enter your email or domain name, your password, and then click on the blue “Login In” button.
On the next page, you can click on the “My Sites” button at the left sidebar and then click on the “Log in to WordPress” to log in to your WordPress dashboard, which is where all your site customization could be made.
Once you are on your WordPress dashboard, the next thing is to go to Appearance at the left sidebar and then click on Themes.
Once you get to the theme page, click on the “add new” button either above or at the last box of the already available themes.
On the new theme page, there are three things you can do to discover a nice theme for your music review blog and they are:
- Click on the “Upload Theme” button to upload a theme you have gotten somewhere else outside of WordPress.
- Select a theme from different categories arranged by WordPress which ranges from featured, popular, latest, favorite, and featured favorite.
- Search for the name of a particular theme or industry. For instance, you search for “Music” to see a list of music-related themes.
Once you see a theme you like, click on the install and then activate buttons to make the theme active on your music review blog.
5. Add essential music review plugins
After activating your blog theme, the next step on how to start a music review blog is to add more functionality to your blog with a few WordPress plugins.
It’s advisable to only install and activate a minimum number of WordPress plugins and install only the best ones. This is because too many plugins and also unreliable ones can slow down the speed of your music review blog.
On your blog dashboard, you will install and activate the following plugins below:
- Rank Math SEO: This is a standard SEO plugin for WordPress. For details and everything you ever want to know about Rank Math SEO read Rank Math’s Definitive SEO Guide.
- Jetpack: This plugin helps to add additional functionality to your music review blog which includes; backup, malware scan, security, stats, contact form, CDN, and social sharing.
6. Set up basic things on your music review blog
Congratulations! You have successfully started a music review blog and now is where the fun begins as you start blogging about music.
Now that you have your own music review blog, you have to make it your own style by turning your music review vision into a reality.
The following bullet points when help you understand better:
- Basic Pages: Start writing the content for your music review blog basic pages: You can start by creating an About Page, Contact Page, Terms Of service, and any other pages you wish to pin at the footer or header of your music review blog.
- Site Logo: Another thing is to create a logo for your music review blog. You can design a nice logo on your own if you have the knowledge or you may hire someone on Fiveer to do a professional logo for you at the low cost of $5.
- Site Title And Tagline: Set up the site title which is the same as your blog name, while the tagline is a short description of your music review blog, more like a slogan but a descriptive slogan.
- Comments. Choose whether or not you want to allow and showcase comments on your music review blog. Comments help you to receive feedback and directly engage with your blog post readers.
- Social Media. Set up social media accounts with your blog name. To start with, you can create a social media account on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Publish. Start writing new music reviews to publish on your blog. It’s recommendable to publish music reviews on your blog at least twice a week, especially when first starting your blog. This will help you build and maintain an audience.
7. How to write a Successful Music Review
Writing a music review for your blog can be so overwhelming especially if you are starting new. It is always helpful if the music review writer has the knowledge and understanding of music theory, musical styles, and the type of music to be reviewed.
But if you don’t have the knowledge of music and you want to be a music review blogger, below are tips that will help you write a music review that your readers will love:
(i). Know your target audience
When writing a music review, it is very important to know your targeted audience in other to communicate and relate with them in your music review.
You cannot use hip-hop slang and terms to write a review of country music, this is because they share different audiences and use different slang.
It is also essential to stress the positive and the negative aspects of the music that is being reviewed.
So it is important for a music review blogger to be aware of the target audience for which the music review is meant.
(ii). What does your audience want to know?
Another interesting thing you should bear in mind as a music review blogger is to be aware of what your blog readers want to know in your review.
It is important that you consider the type of music review that is expected by your audience. For instance, does your audience want an in-depth analysis of the music, or do they expect just an overview of the music?
Generally, readers want to know about the product which is the music you are reviewing. They are looking for new ideas and opinions of particular music.
Music review readers want to know the meaning of certain things about each piece of music, especially the level of difficulty, any extraordinary demands placed on the instruments, and the suitability of the music.
(iii). How to Approach Writing a Music Review
Writing a music review for your music review blog is such a creative process that is rooted in your opinion and personal tastes of the music. You must be able to suggest appropriate and usable musical compositions to your audience.
So you should listen to the music over and over again in order to grasp and comprehend the many layers of sound and to get a deeper understanding of the music.
Also as you listen to the music, take detailed notes about what stands out in the music which can be very helpful in your review.
Know that a music review blogger is not a specialist in all styles and genres of music. So you may ask an expert in a particular field (strings) to write the review for a particular column of the music you are reviewing.
This means that you can offer one review and the guest music reviewer can review six or seven other pieces of the music. This will help you offer positive visibility and exposure that guarantees your audience maximum benefit from the music reviews.
(iv). The style of writing your music review
Writing a music review for your music review blog is quite different from writing a usual blog post.
If you want your music review to be professional, you should avoid the use of terms like: “you” “your” and “I” in the music review.
It is supposed that whatever is written is the expressed opinion, view, and feeling of the music reviewer should be written about the music and if not, then that statement should be quotations.
It is also better if the music review writer ignores the use of clichés, and generic, non-specific words such as “interesting,” and clusters a list of colorful adjectives that can be used to define the music.
Words like “appealing” “fascinating” and “exciting” are more acceptable and suitable when writing a music review than the use of the word, “interesting.”
- Title your music reviews with a catchy and descriptive title to captivate the attention of your readers.
- Avoid using slang or expressions that are not related to music such as: “Man, Awesome to say the least!”, etc.
- Read reviews of other blogs to get a sense of the style and content of music reviews.
- Learn more about writing a music review and how to improve your presentation.